Originally found at Vegetarian Times as a “Live Soup”. I like mine heated in more ways than one. It has been souped up, pardon the pun!
Ingredient List Serves (8)
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts or 1 can drained
- 3 Tbs. Bragg’s Amino acids or low sodium soy sauce or soy sauce
- 5 dried cherries or apricots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes or 1 16 oz. can
- 1/2 cup Vidalia onion
- 2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber or zucchini
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced (for REAL heat, leave in seeds)
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbs. raw agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- add 1/2 head broccoli
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 quart box veg broth
- 1 pack Goya powdered ham flavoring/vegan 4 oz mixed exotic mushroom pack (chopped and sautéed in 1 tsp. sesame oil)
- 1 small pack firm tofu drained cubed & sautéed with 1 clove garlic
1. Stir together sprouts and soy sauce and let marinate while you prepare soup.
2. Soak cherries in bowl of boiling water 5 minutes. Drain.
3. Saute’ cubed tofu w/ garlic
4. Place cherries, tomatoes, onion, vinegar, ginger, and veg broth in blender; blend until smooth.
Transfer to serving bowl, and stir in cucumber, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro, agave nectar, cayenne pepper, and sprout mixture.
*I blended tomatoes, cherries right from bag, ginger, jalapeno, pepper, onion–dumped the rest in and heated
*It’s still a bit sweet. You could fool with this forever and it would still be good.
Per 1-cup serving: Calories: 59, Protein: 2g, Total fat: 1g, Saturated fat: 1g, Carbs: 14g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 682mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 10g