1. A very simple recipe (my son likes) for mac and cheese is this:
*I personally find it a bit bland* (I’d love to give credit here, but do not know where we Googled this from)
3/4 c. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. salt (or not)
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. water
1 c. soy or other milk alternative
3 Tb. oil
1 lb. elbow macaroni
Mix all ingredients (except mac-cook seperately) and heat gently, stirring with a wisk till a bit thick.
Drain noodles, pour cheese sauce over.
2. Engine 2′s Macaroni & Not Cheese pg. 207
1 onion chopped
1 c. cashews
1/3 c. lemon juice
1 1/3 c. water
1/2 tsp. sea salt
4 oz. jar roasted red peppers/drained
1 tsp garlic pwdr.
1 tsp. onion powder
16 oz. whole grain elbow pasta, cooked
Preheat oven to 425. Saute onion 5 min. in nonstick pan. In food processor/blender combine onion, cashews, lemon jc., water & salt. Gradually blend in red peppers, nutritional yeast with garlic & onion powders. Toss with pasta – bake 20 min. till golden brown on top.
*can’t wait to try this one*
- 3 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick ) vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- A few dashes of liquid smoke
- Paprika & Black Pepper, to taste
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
• In a saucepan, melt the margarine over low heat. Whisk in the flour.
• Continue whisking over medium heat until smooth and bubbly.
• Whisk in the boiling water, salt, soy sauce, liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder, and turmeric – add a few dashes of black pepper to taste.
• Continue whisking until dissolved. Once thick and bubbling, whisk in the nutritional yeast flakes.
• Mix 3/4 of the sauce with the noodles and place in a casserole dish. Cover with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with the paprika.
• Bake for 15 minutes.
• Broil for a few minutes until crisp.
4. Susan Voisin’s fat free vegan Mac & Cheese can be found at http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/easy-macaroni-and-cheeze.html